With the surprise announcement that the greatest TV comedy of all time, Curb Your Enthusiasm, will be returning for a 9th season, I did anything but curb my enthusiasm, as I dove headfirst into the Youtube archives in search of the show’s very best scenes. After watching several hours of hysterical clips, I dumped all of that data into my personal super computer (my brain), and produced a highly scientific top 5 ranking based on three key factors: Hilarity, Relatability, and Memorability. Here are the top 5 Curb Your Enthusiasm scenes:
1) The Weatherman – “I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that you’re predicting rain to clear the golf course for yourself.”
Hilarity – No one scene captures the essence of the show like this one.
Relatability – Even if you don’t play golf (I notoriously don’t), everyone can relate to getting screwed over by a crappy weather report.
Memorability – My friends still randomly send me clips of this scene (you know who you are … Blake).
2) Big Vagina – “He said the problem didn’t lie with his small penis, but rather, with your big vagina.”
Hilarity – Larry’s hand sign for “big vagina” is now embedded in pop culture.
Relatability – Well, I guess it depends on how big your penis and/or vagina is.
Memorability – How can anybody possibly forget this scene?
3) Larry refuses pie from Ted Danson – “Take this fucking piece of pie, and get it out of my face!”
Hilarity – Watching this scene makes you instantly remember how great this show was/is.
Relatability – Most of us just take a bite when people push food on us … but not Larry.
Memorability – It isn’t the first scene that comes to mind when you think of Curb, but the clip was too funny to leave out of the top 5.
4) Susie yelling about a doll’s head – “Get me the fucking head, alright, both of you, cause I’ve had it, you four-eyed fuck and you fat piece of shit. Get me the head!”
Hilarity – I’m literally dying of laughter as I’m writing this.
Relatability – I seriously hope this scene isn’t that relatable for you.
Memorability – Susie was a great character, and this scene was probably her most memorable.
5) The Larry David Sandwich – “You have two fishes in the sandwich?”
Hilarity – I’m just now realizing the “hilarity” category is kinda useless. The entire show is hilarious.
Relatability – White fish, sable, cream cheese, capers, and onions. Who wouldn’t want to get rid of that sandwich?
Memorability – Jeff’s little asides in this scene are classic.
*) Larry stare down compilation – Bonus scene (more like scenes) of Larry’s many stare downs, often times accompanied by a well placed, “hmmmmmmm …”
By Michael Halpern
Twitter: Imaginary Brick Wall (@ImaginaryBrickW)